The PhD course in Agribusiness & Sustainability is offered by the Portuguese universities consortium of UTAD (University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro) and UE (Universidade de Évora), in partnership with other national and international R&D institutions and companies in the agroforestry and food sector. The objective of this PhD programme is to recognize and expand a knowledge base wich allow stakeholders to anticipate, understand and respond to the three strategic challenges currently face by agroforestry and food chains. These challenges are sustainable development, smart and inclusive growth and, the innovation that is critical to both processes being achieved. The provision of this programme, delivered via consortia and (inter)national partnerships whicg integrate business and research institutions with extensive knowledge and experience of traget sector. It further provides a unique opportunity to promote and consolidate advanced education, reserach, development and innovation (R&D&I), all associated with these key value chains. These partnerships will focus on well-defined and complementary areas of expertise, and aim at developing the constrant interaction between business and research units based on processes of colllective learning and co-innovation.
Course in Association/Partner Institutions:
- Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro
Institute of Research and Advanced Training
6 Semesters/180 ECTS credits (54 required and 12 optional in curricular units)
Portuguese, English, Spanish
Day and night classes
The course promotes career opportunities in the three strategic domains of sustainable, intelligent and inclusive growth in the agroforestry and food sector, in any type of agribusiness and in public or private for profit and non-profit organizations. The job opportunities are related with the competencies to be acquired in the scope of the course and that allow: 1) Understand, interpret and evaluate the complexity and diversity of the problems of agro-food and forestry organizations in the context of its global environment;
2) Apply conceptual and analytical tools of management, of an innovative nature, in pursuit the promotion of sustainable and competitive organizations;
3) Design, test, implement and/or evaluate strategies and models aimed at improving business competitiveness, strengthening social equity and the enhancement of responsible endogenous and natural resource use;
4) Anticipate future trends in the agroforestry and food value chains;
5) Design and develop research projects that generate innovative theoretical and empirical knowledge and solutions associated with sustainable growth of agroforestry and food chains, particularly to potential users in areas marked by population decline;
6) Identify and develop knowledge transfer processes that will build added value for the sector.
Specific Entry Requirements
Flexible criteria are applied to allow admission of students from different areas, taking into account the interdisciplinary profile of the program. Preference is given to students with a master's degree, although holders of a graduation or legal equivalent, or other candidates with a relevant academic or school curriculum, may be admitted, in accordance with the opinion of the Coordinating Committee of the Course. Professional experience in the field of agroforestry and food is appreciated, especially professionals from private and non-profit organizations, entrepreneurs, staff and other public administration professionals, among others.
Access Routes and Applications
Students from EU countries
Initial Places: 5
Initial Places: 10
Annual Tuition Fees
Students from EU countries
Information not available.
Academic Manager: Maria João Doutor Zorro