Recognition of foreign higher education degrees and diplomas
Level recognition confers recognition by individual comparability of a degree or diploma of foreign higher education with a level corresponding to a Portuguese academic or higher education degree.
HOW TO APPLY
You may apply for level recognition at any public Portuguese higher education institution, provided that it offers the degree for which recognition is sought, by filling in the form and submitting documentary evidence of the degree or diploma awarded, in particular one of the following documents :
- A copy of your diploma or document issued by the foreign higher education institution confirming that you hold the degree or diploma for which academic recognition is sought, authenticated by the competent authorities for such purpose;
- A simple copy of a document issued by a foreign higher education institution bearing the registration number of the degree or diploma, when awarded by a foreign higher education institution that has centralised records that can be accessed by public authorities using a unique identifier;
- The original copy of the diploma or certificate issued by the foreign higher education institution that confirms you hold the degree or diploma for which academic recognition is sought.
The following specific documentation must also be submitted:
- A document issued by the foreign higher education institution with a breakdown of the curricular units you passed and which led to award of the degree or diploma for which recognition is sought;
- The content of all curricular units you attended in the respective study cycle;
- A document issued by the foreign higher education institution indicating the duration of studies that led to award of the respective degree.
If you wish to recognise a Masters or PhD degree, the following documents must also be submitted:
- A digital or scanned copy of the thesis you defended or project work, or your internship report, for Master degrees;
- A digital or scanned copy of the thesis defended, except where it was replaced by other research, works or creative projects, in which case the information collected must be submitted in digital or scanned format so the content of research can be assessed, as well as the rationale behind the design and preparation process, research capacity, and how it contributes to improving knowledge in the respective field, for PhD degrees.
If, besides academic recognition, you also want your final mark to be converted to the Portuguese grading scale , you must also submit:
- A document issued by the foreign higher education institution indicating the final mark awarded for the academic degree or diploma for which recognition is sought; and
- A document confirming the foreign grading scale used for the final mark and indicating the respective minimum pass mark and the maximum classification.
Your application for academic recognition will only be processed after the fees have been paid. Fees paid are non-refundable.
Applications will be processed within no more than 90 business days from the date a valid application is submitted.
When applications for level recognition are based on precedence, they will be processed within no more than 30 business days from the date a valid application is submitted.
Applications are deemed valid following confirmation that fee payment has been received.
The University of Évora requires that all documents issued by foreign higher education institutions be recognised by the local Portuguese consular officer or legalised under the Apostille system as per The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents .
All documents submitted which were issued by foreign higher education institutions in languages other than Spanish, French or English must be submitted together with a translation thereof into English, duly certified by the competent authorities.
The entity responsible for granting academic recognition may require the submission of a duly certified translation of project work, internship reports, dissertations, theses and rationale written in a foreign language.
The aforementioned certification must be of the translation itself and not only of the signatures of the parties involved.