Recognition of foreign higher education degrees and diplomas
Automatic recognition is the general recognition of a foreign higher education degree or diploma, the level, purpose and nature of which are identical to Portuguese Bachelor’s, Master and PhD degrees or a diploma of higher vocational education that are included in the list of degrees and diplomas approved by the commission for the recognition of foreign degrees and diplomas.
HOW TO APPLY
Before applying, you must confirm whether automatic recognition applies to your degree/diploma on the DGES website and whether your degree is included in this table . If so, you may apply for recognition at any public Portuguese higher education institution, provided that it offers the degree for which recognition is sought, or through the Portuguese Directorate-General for Higher Education (DGES) by completing the online form and submitting documentary evidence of the degree or diploma awarded, in particular one of the following documents :
- A copy of your diploma or document issued by the foreign higher education institution confirming that you hold the degree or diploma for which academic recognition is sought, authenticated by the competent authorities for such purpose;
- A simple copy of a document issued by a foreign higher education institution bearing the registration number of the degree or diploma, when awarded by a foreign higher education institution that has centralised records that can be accessed by public authorities using a unique identifier;
- The original copy of the diploma or certificate issued by the foreign higher education institution that confirms you hold the degree or diploma for which academic recognition is sought.
If you wish to recognise a Master or PhD degree, the following documents must also be submitted:
- A digital or scanned copy of the thesis you defended or project work, or your internship report, for Master degrees;
- A digital or scanned copy of the thesis defended, except where it was replaced by other research, works or creative projects, in which case the information collected must be submitted in digital or scanned format so the content of research can be assessed, as well as the rationale behind the design and preparation process, research capacity, and how it contributes to improving knowledge in the respective field, for PhD degrees.
If, besides academic recognition, you also want your final mark to be converted to the Portuguese grading scale , you must also submit:
- A document issued by the foreign higher education institution indicating the final mark awarded for the academic degree or diploma for which recognition is sought;
- A document confirming the foreign grading scale used for the final mark and indicating the respective minimum pass mark.
Your application for academic recognition will only be processed after the fees have been paid. Fees paid are non-refundable.
Applications will be processed within no more than 30 business days from the date a valid application is submitted. Applications are deemed valid following confirmation that payment of the fee has been received.
The University of Évora requires that all documents issued by foreign higher education institutions be recognised by the local Portuguese consular officer or legalised under the Apostille system as per The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents .
All documents submitted which were issued by foreign higher education institutions in languages other than Spanish, French or English must be submitted together with a translation thereof into English, duly certified by the competent authorities.
The aforementioned certification must be of the translation itself and not only of the signatures of the parties involved.