Recognition of foreign higher education degrees and diplomas
Specific recognition grants recognition of a foreign higher education degree or diploma identical to that of an academic degree or diploma issued in Portugal following a case-by-case analysis of the level, duration and syllabus content in a particular area of study, field of knowledge or specialism.
HOW TO APPLY
You may apply for specific recognition at any public Portuguese higher education institution, provided that it offers the degree for which recognition is sought by filling in the form and submitting documentary evidence of the degree or diploma awarded, in particular one of the following documents :
- A copy of your diploma or document issued by the foreign higher education institution confirming that you hold the degree or diploma for which academic recognition is sought, authenticated by the competent authorities for such purpose;
- A simple copy of a document issued by a foreign higher education institution bearing the registration number of the degree or diploma, when awarded by a foreign higher education institution that has centralised records that can be accessed by public authorities using a unique identifier;
- The original copy of the diploma or certificate issued by the foreign higher education institution that confirms you hold the degree or diploma for which academic recognition is sought.
The following specific documentation must also be submitted:
- A document issued by the foreign higher education institution with a breakdown of the curricular units you passed and which led to award of the degree or diploma for which recognition is sought;
- The syllabus content of all curricular units you attended in the respective study cycle;
- A document issued by the foreign higher education institution indicating the duration of studies that led to award of the respective degree;
- A document issued by the foreign higher education institution indicating the final mark awarded for the academic degree or diploma for which recognition is sought; and
- A document confirming the foreign grading scale used for the final mark and indicating the respective minimum pass mark.
If you wish to recognise a Master or PhD degree, the following documents must also be submitted:
- A digital or scanned copy of the thesis you defended or project work, or your internship report, for Master degrees;
- A digital or scanned copy of the thesis defended, except where it was replaced by other research, works or creative projects, in which case the information collected must be submitted in digital or scanned format so the content of research can be assessed, as well as the rationale behind the design and preparation process, research capacity, and how it contributes to improving knowledge in the respective field, for PhD degrees.
Your application for academic recognition will only be processed after the fees have been paid. Fees paid are non-refundable.
The request will only be considered and analyzed after uploading proof of payment of the fees due , on the platform where the recognition request is registered. The order will be refused if payment is not made within 10 days after registering the order on the platform.
Payment must be made by bank transfer, with the following bank details:
BANK: SANTANDER TOTTA
NAME: UNIVERSITY OF ÉVORA
ACCOUNT: 0003 39840269020
NIB: 0018 0003 39840269020 81
IBAN: PT50 0018 0003 39840269020 81
BIC / SWIFT: TOTAPTPL
OPERATION DESCRIPTION: Payment of Fees related to the applicant's foreign Degree Recognition (name).
After payment is confirmed, the order and the attached documentation will be analyzed by the Academic Services, and the applicant will be notified within 10 days after inserting the payment receipt on the platform, if the order is properly instructed or not.
If the request is not instructed with the documentation in accordance with the Regulation , they have 30 days, after notification, to remedy deficiencies in the instruction of the process. After this period the request is refused, with no refund of the fees due as well as in case of withdrawal or refusal of recognition.
Applications will be processed within no more than 90 business days from the date a valid application is submitted.
Applications are deemed valid following confirmation that fee payment has been received.
The University of Évora requires that all documents issued by foreign higher education institutions be recognised by the local Portuguese consular officer or legalised under the Apostille system as per The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents .
All documents submitted which were issued by foreign higher education institutions in languages other than Spanish, French or English must be submitted together with a translation thereof into English, duly certified by the competent authorities.
The entity responsible for granting academic recognition may require the provision of a duly certified translation of project work, internship reports, dissertations, theses and rationale written in a foreign language.
The aforementioned certification must be of the translation itself and not only of the signatures of the parties involved.