"Honesto estudo com longa experiência misturado"
The University of Évora is one of the universities belonging to the Portuguese public higher education system. As such, its mission involves:
• The production of knowledge through scientific and artistic research, experimentation and technological and humanistic development;
• The socialization of knowledge, providing the traditional student population, as well as the working population, with academic qualification through undergraduate, master's and doctoral courses, ad hoc training courses and informal training throughout life;
• The transmission of knowledge to the community, fostering innovation and business competitiveness, the modernization of public services, as well as the social and cultural development of the broader community.
The vision of the university of Évora favors the region background, the Alentejo, in which operates, choosing it as the preferred target of its effort to socialize knowledge; shares identical human, cultural and scientific values with the European Community; prioritize strategical alliances with the neighboring regions; seeks to expand its mission into the Portuguese-speaking countries, not forgetting, at the same time, the current challenges related to a global “world” for which the students must be well-prepared.
The University of Évora adopts the principle of the free “inquiry” as defined by Henri Poincaré, in the pursuit of the tasks arising from its mission:
“Thinking must never submit itself, neither to a dogma, nor to a party, nor to a passion, nor to an interest, nor to a preconceived idea, nor to anything whatsoever , if not to facts themselves, because for it to submit to anything else, would be the end of its existence.”
Moreover, the University of Évora's intrinsic values are:
• Respect for human dignity;
• Academic freedom;
• Individual merit;
• The rigor in the execution of any tasks;
• The democracy underlying the decision;
• The absence of social, ethnic or confessional discrimination.