Methods and Techniques of Sociological Research I
Name: Methods and Techniques of Sociological Research I
Duration: 15 weeks/156 hours
Teaching languages: Portuguese
Languages of tutoring support: Portuguese
Regime de Frequência: Presencial
Stimulating the spirit of scientific discovery and learning how to do sociological research using the best methods and techniques for a more rigorous observation of social life
Sustainable Development Goals
- Provide the basic methods and techniques of scientific research;
- Learn the different stages of practical implementation of a social research, integrating theories and methods;
- Interpret, critically, the methodologies used in works of disclosure, in general scientific research and particularly in the domain of social sciences, especially sociology;
- Contribute to a critical and relativist analysis of the scientific knowledge in its methodological and practical aspects.
- Justify specific methodological and technical components of other curriculum subjects.
I - Introduction: The social research: importance, usefulness, obstacles and resources; Ethics in research; Strategies and typologies of the Social Research. The Research Project - general operating criteria.
II - The Planification of the Research: Choice of Theme and its delimitation; the hypothesis formulation; measuring in social research.
III - The Collection of Information: the universe to study and sampling techniques. Typologies of the observation and data collection techniques: the available information (types and relevance); the triggered information (questionnaire).
The course will be taught in form of theoretical and practical classes. Class attendance is controled according the established in Internal Rules. The student can either opt for the frequency regimen or a final exam. If they choose the frequency regimen: the evaluation will consist of two frequencies; elaboration, in group or individually, of practical works(attendance, participation, initiative, practical works ...). For assignment of the final grade each frequency will count for 40%; all other elements of evaluation will have 20%. However, it will be necessary to obtain approval that students have a positive mean (10 values) for the aggregate of all frequencies and that no one is less than 8 values. If they choose to realize the Final Exam: evaluation will consist in the exam (80% of grade) and other elements of assessment (20%). They must obtain approval that the student gets at least 10 points in the Examination. All kind of students should perform all other works.