Smoking determinants by gender: implications for the craation of smoke free generation
- Universidade do Minho(líder)
- Faculdade de Medicina(parceiro)
- Hospital de São Marcos(parceiro)
- Universidade de Évora(parceiro)
Due to this set of reasons we intend, with this project, to deepen the knowledge of the determinants of smoking in relation to gender and from that knowledge, to develop more effective preventive actions. To achieve that goal, two studies will be made: one qualitative and another quantitative study. The first will be of the “focal groups” kind. Four groups made of smoking and non-smoking girls and smoking and non-smoking boys, between the ages of 18 and 25, will be constituted. The groups of the smokers will discuss the reasons that made them start to smoke. The non-smokers’ groups will discuss the reasons for not smoking. By the end of 2007 a quantitative study will be carried out, of the transversal descriptive type, on a sample of students of the Primary, High-School and Universitary level, of the Northern, Centre, Lisbon , Alentejo, Algarve, Madeira, Azores, made of about 12 000 students.
Objectives, activities and expected/achieved results
1) To determine the individual, micro and macro-social factors related to experimentation, occasional and regular smoking by gender. 2) To elaborate guidelines to the smoking prevention based on the gender differences. 3) To elaborate smoking preventive programmes based on the gender differences. .