Health and Wellness Tourism
Sustainable Development Goals
2. Understand the evolutionary framework of the concept of health and well-being and its association with tourist practice;
3. Interpret the evolutionary process of the use and meaning of the body in contemporary societies and establish its relationship with the health and medicalized tourism segment;
4. Know the motivations / meanings of consumption in the different segments of Health and Wellness Tourism in their relationship with other tourism products;
5. Understand the role of Health and Wellness Tourism in the sustainable tourism development of the territories, in a complementary logic.
2. Health and well-being tourism (s): concept and expansion of demand
2.1. The concept of health and the concept of wellness, evolution and complementarity
2.2. Health Tourism: medicalized and non-medicalized - the fundamental aspects of demand and supply
3. Health and Wellness Tourism vs Water Tourism: the role of water in health and well-being
4. Health and Wellness Tourism: future perspectives
5. The role of Health and Wellness Tourism in the sustainable tourism development of the territories
Expository method, using audiovisual media and indication of general and specific bibliography.
Active method in theoretical-practical classes organized around the collective discussion about texts or other working materials; reading, presentation and critical discussion of selected texts around authors, perspectives and cases of empirical application; presentation and discussion of exercises developed by students.
Interrogative method to encourage active participation by students.
Study visit to a health and wellness tourism unit / project (technical visit).
On the Moodle platform, pedagogical content, supporting bibliographic references and study guidance sheets are available.
Written evaluation test: 60% (minimum score of 8 points);
Practical group work (case study): 40% (60% written work + 40% presentation) (minimum grade 8 points).
- Mónica Belchior Morais de Brito [responsible]