Malagueira: Heritage for all. Contributions for the its nomination.
The inscription of Malagueira to the National Tentative List for Unesco for nomination to the World Heritage List, together with other works by Álvaro Siza Vieira, makes it imperative to identify, recognize and systematize the values ??of authenticity, integrity, singularity and the outstanding universal value, in close proximity to the Unesco City of Évora.
The research aims to collect and consolidate a corpus of documentary and theoretical knowledge to develop a new tourist brand - MALAGUEIRA.PT - that integrates cultural, architectural, historical, social and scientific values in a Heritage Charter of Malagueira, which is part of an under-represented typology of modern architecture.
Then through new ICTs with mobile augmented reality applications (possible EPO patent), new meanings and new contents will be produced for the stakeholders through the counterpoint between the built and the non-built. An opportunity is created to change from the stigma and negative interpretations of Malagueira towards the recognition of its value. The research and the process will promote the empowerment of the community.
It is intended to build and inspire an initial network of partners that includes the Municipality, the Regional Department of Culture and ICOMOS, the archiving centers (Drawing Matter, Canadian Center for Architecture, Caloustre Gulbenkian Foundation and Serralves Foundation). The former are responsible for legal and heritage safeguarding. The latter are responsible for preserving ASV collections in terms of documentation and projects. All are interested in the cultural value of ASV's work and in the participation of community and stakeholder.
In addition to the current scientific production, the research will provide artistic contents and exhibitions on the three main themes (Modern Heritage, Tourism, and ICTs). The augmented reality mobile apparatus will allow new insights, developed as a pedagogical and research tool, detailed in 3 workshops, one seminar and one international congress.
It is intended to extend the network to other partners, who are in charge of other works of the ASV (Municipalities, universities, foundations, institutions and owner), sharing results and methodologies and increasing the additional effect of this research. It will also allow that some results may become autonomous and can be used as instruments for other stakeholders.
The innovative nature of this proposal is demonstrated by the trans-disciplinary research and methodology proposed for its accomplishment by the concept of “research by design”. In addition, it is proposed an articulation of the augmented reality TICs, the graphic design and the heritage values.
The research team is made of experienced researchers working on Heritage, Malagueira or ASV thus providing a trans-disciplinary approach, proving the internal consistency of the project and the evidence of an in-depth investigation and inter-winding of research and teaching.
Objectives, activities and expected/achieved results
The nomination of Malagueira in the ?Portuguese Tentative List? for Unesco?s World Heritage List, together with other works by Álvaro Siza Vieira, makes it imperative to identify, recognize and systematize the values of authenticity, integrity, singularity and exceptional universal value of his work that justify its classification as a Unesco Heritage.
Modern architecture in underrepresented at the Unesco's World Heritage List, a global strategy to ensure that the List reflects the full spectrum of world?s cultural treasures is underway, yet there are no examples of classification of works by an author still alive and active. This is a challenging situation, fostering the interconnectedness between the tangible and intangible heritage, at the level of the discussion over the concepts of safeguarding and intervention in the constitution of a broader contemporary collective heritage or legacy. Moreover, it is a discussion that can include the contributions of the author, thus making him and the stakeholders part of the process, which is a new perspective, mostly used in relation with intangible heritage.
Of all the works of ASV proposed in the indicative tentative list Malagueira is the most paradigmatic case because it is one of the most relevant projects involving the growing urbanization of rural areas, the construction of the new neighbourhood in coexistence with the old city, the phenomena of popular participation during the revolutionary period (in the 70s). Yet, despite its 40 years of existence, the project is not yet completed, lacking a considerable part of the public buildings.
In addition to this debate, there is a potential fruitful dialog between the historic city of Évora (classified as Unesco Heritage in 1986, with 113ha and 4738 inhabitants in 2011) and the modern city designed by ASV in 1977 with 27ha, 12373 inhabitants in 1200 dwellings), building new understandings on its safeguard and preservation.
The research aims:
(O1) to collect and consolidate a documentary (such as drawings, plans, texts, documents, photographs) and theoretical corpus of knowledge as structured database of relevant information and identify and recognize the fundamental values authenticity, integrity, singularity and outstanding universal value of Malagueira;
(O2) to develop, create, register and sustain a new brand - MALAGUEIRA.PT - that integrates cultural, architectural, historical, social and scientific values.
(O3) to inform and communicate the existent and the non-built projects of Malagueira through new ICTs with mobile applications of augmented reality, providing unique interactive experiences (simple and intuitive) capable of producing new meanings, and, support the increase of local economic activities (such as the tourism), thus producing new contents that attract new tourists and contribute for the social recognition of Malagueira.
(O4) to change from the stigma and negative interpretations of Malagueira towards the recognition of the value of modern heritage and of Malagueira by a new cultural and heritage paradigm resulting from the accumulation of experiences of its community;
(O5) to elaborate a Heritage Charter with the management tools necessary for Unesco's nomination that will allow building and empowering the community and partners on the work of ASV.
(O6) to build, inspire and maintain a community of national ASV partners.
To achieve the proposed objectives, the team counts on a set of partners motivated by the valuation of Malagueira and other works by ASV and with the interest of the architect ASV himself.
These partnerships allow the creation of a platform for discussion on the values of modern architecture to classify where society as a whole participates: namely researchers, architects, political, technical and cultural agents and the inhabitants.
Links between project team and university team professors, who link research and teaching at the advanced training in the master's and doctor's degree in architecture of the UE allow to add scientific potential to this research.
The tasks and methodology are:
1. A survey of concepts of cultural values and their applications to research, through bibliographical research, UNESCO letters and relevant documents related to heritage, to define a theoretical framework and identify and recognize the fundamental values of Malagueira.
2. A systematic collection and consolidation of dispersed information (drawings, photographs, letters, administrative documents), registration and database archiving (open access) on Malagueira (constructed and not built), ASV and other relevant examples, to define Documentary framework. For this, the primary sources of the Drawing Matter, CCA, Serralves Foundation and Caloustre Gulbenkian Foundation, CME, cooperatives and personal files will be consulted.
3. Integration of latent economic opportunities through "tourism", using the documentary and theoretical frameworks, bibliographic analysis, benchmarking comparison with the Historic Center of Évora and other examples. It will include a workshop with relevant experts from all partners involved to validate the framework of opportunities.
4. Experimental simulation using increased virtual models in simultaneous interaction of the non-built Malagueira with the current consolidated urban fabric for qualitative evaluation for the community and tourists. For this simulation 3D modelling (digital, modelling and photomontages) of the non-built will be overlapped with the built reality. The application will be developed by means of an acquisition of services, however the contents are produced by the present research. The information management process and system is anticipated to be innovative (EPO), because of its overlapping of actual information with the textual and visual database information (using the ASV drawings or project simulation models).
5. implementation of cultural, educational and artistic events, such as exhibitions and workshops, to induce the dissemination and promotion of the contents produced by the research.
6. Cartography, registration and systematization of all the information collected with the existing urbanization plan, to create a charter of Malagueira that presents a diagnosis of the existing situation and operational guidelines for its safeguard. It is intended that the design of this charter will be, once again, a democratic participatory process with the stakeholders and local institutions in charge of Malagueira. Workshops and public discussions, events and exhibitions will be organized to stimulate public participation and empower the community.
7. The safeguarding of Malagueira implies a recognition and identification of its value by the inhabitants, which is increased by the incoming tourists. The good practices of recognizing the value of Malagueira and the support of municipality and of ASV itself will promote the creation of a dynamic network of partners (owners and public entities) that protect and manage the heritage of ASV classification.
We can group the results in the following typologies:
- Scientific production: 13 oral communications, 8 articles, 2 reports, 2 books (PT/UK) with ISBN, 3 Master's theses;
- Artistic production: 1 augmented reality app, other real and virtual models, photomontage, sketches;
- Curating and holding of exhibitions: 3 exhibitions;
- Organization of scientific events: 3 workshops, 1 seminars and 1 international congress;
- Promotion, dissemination and transfer of knowledge - 1 touristic map of Malagueira, initiatives with the community, guided tours, mobile application of augmented reality, scientific and artistic dissemination actions;
- Pedagogical innovation: 1 pedagogical tools with the overlapping of non-built elements with reality;
- New value chains: Malagueira brand, tourism, site and mobile application;
- Inter-institutional partnerships: networking of partners;
- Registration of EPO patents: 1 possible patent (notice that RA changes very quickly);
The innovative character of this research is demonstrated by the transversal nature of the research and by the proposed methodology for its execution.
Is also innovative because of the proposed articulation of information technologies with the existing heritage characteristics and its potential use. The use and articulation of research instruments of several scientific areas such as augmented reality technologies, graphic design information, recognized heritage values, and other complementary tourist information. The research of ASV architectural project will use a recent methodology concept in architecture - research by design - that link the graphical information of the constructed project and the reinterpretation of the unbuilt models simulating both interactions and perceptions. The promotion and dissemination of research using the same tool augmented reality app between the networking of partners.
The research team consists of experienced researchers that have worked with ASV or on Malagueira, have previously contributed with scientific research on the theme, are from different backgrounds, from universities and research centres, ICOMOS and Municipality, thus providing a transversal approach. Proving internal consistency of the project and evidence of an in-depth research.
The whole research, website and mobile AR provide a legacy that can be used, improved by other stakeholders, fostering tourist information. A propose of a network which might include other municipalities and entities from the North to the South of Portugal that oversee ASV work exponentially increases the effect of the additional to the project, and assure the continuity of results after the end of research. Also, the elaboration of Malagueira?s Charter and its use as an instrument of management of the classified is fundamental and obligatory for the classification of the Malagueira by Unesco and allows for the continuity, as an instrument for concerted urbanism and heritage management.